Welcome to Freedom From Work!
On behalf of every “Freedom Fighter” out there, we are honoured to have you as part of our community.
What is Freedom From Work?
Freedom From Work is all about helping you break free of the shackles of Time-Money-Servitude (a.k.a your 9-5 job).
The ultimate vision is simple: to be The Red Pill for time and money and help you engineer your escape from the Rat Race and reclaim your time and money.
When I say you, I should emphasize I mean “we” and “each other.” Because it’s not just about me talking at you or having a one-way conversation. I hope to form an awesome community of “Freedom Fighters” that share the burning desire to be free.
Know that you’re not alone, let’s support one another, share ideas and just journey together. Because this is definitely not an easy journey but it sure as hell will be rewarding.
For those who are wondering what the metaphor of The Red Pill means, check out my explanation here.
Your vision sounds good. So how do you propose to do that?
By starting from the very beginning and building/journeying together one step at a time. I’ve built this site around what Simon Sinek calls the Golden Circle (my take on it). It’s not a new concept, in fact it’s a very simple concept when you think about it.
Yet its simplicity is elegant which is why I’m using it to structure my content here. In a nutshell the idea is before you try to do or achieve anything, before diving right into the How and the What, you have to Start With Why. This is the only way to really be successful and effective in what you do.
To be successful you really need to understand the end-to-end high level purpose/strategy all the way down to the low-level detail of doing and executing. You really need to be spanning all three, from the Why to the How to the What.
Now there may be many seemingly disparate topics here. Yet at its core the site has a very simple structure. Within this simple structure I cover dozens of different topics.
Broadly, this site is structured around:
- The Why: starting with Why, understanding your cause and the reason for the How and the What it is you are doing. Having a clear defined purpose/vision/goal/definition of what it is you want to achieve and where you want to be and why. Clarity of purpose is the key here.
- The How: How are you going to get there? Including articles on high level strategy, concepts and educational resources as well as getting what I call your “internals/intangibles” right (things like attitude, motivation, discipline and perseverance).
- The What: The specifics and low level detail. The day-to-day tactics, variety of tools, specific tips and advice. This is the easiest place to get lost in real quick. Most people get so caught up in the What and mistake busyness for productivity and effectiveness. But it’s not just about doing for the sake of doing. Without knowing Why you are doing it, it’s like, to quote Shakespeare, “full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”
If you dive straight to specifics you will miss the big picture and get lost in the detail. If you just focus on the higher level strategic and more abstract thinking, you won’t know how to DO or execute.
What Freedom From Work is not
It’s not some get rich quick or get rich easy scheme. You will find no such promises, content or material here.
This is why I focus so much on education to help you gain a solid understanding of the key principles, concepts and methods. This is so you actually learn to think like an entrepreneur yourself rather than being constantly stuck in an employee mindset.
Being stuck in the employee mindset makes you easily susceptible to just being told or sold on the next fancy get-rich-quick scheme or fad. People will always be trying to tell you to do this or that mainly because they have a vested interest in selling stuff to you. But there’s no point just doing whatever some self-proclaimed guru tells you unless you understand the principles behind it and Why you are doing this.
As you can see, I’m a firm believer of the wise saying:
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Look there really is no easy way to get rich except for inheriting money from rich parents or marrying into money (which isn’t easy itself and is a skill in its own right – lol don’t you think so?). Either way if you’re here reading this blog chances are that’s not you.
Because the truth is, in today’s cut-throat fast-paced competitive world that we live in if you don’t bring these three ingredients to the table, you can’t even have a seat at the table. But if you can bring these three ingredients I promise that you will find value in this site and community I aim to build around it.
I want to clarify: it’s NOT about “dissing” jobs or people with jobs per se. The key distinction is between those who have fulfilling work and are content and love their work versus those that are unhappy, unfulfilled and dissatisfied with their jobs but settle and feel forced to stay because of commitments like having a mortgage or a family.
If you’re in the increasingly rare category of people who love their jobs, you’re in an awesome place and should be grateful and value your job and cherish it. Because many people would give a lot to be in your enviable position.
For you work isn’t really work then, if it’s what you love to do. You’re doing what you like and earning money along the way.
You have nothing to escape from.
This site is not for you.
Alright I like the concept. Now where do I start?
I won’t be too prescriptive here because these are all generally self-contained topics by themselves. The more important thing is to keep in mind where you are whenever you’re reading something to understand the overall context.
I’ve made sure to categorize articles around the Why, How and What so you know which section you are in. So feel free to dive right into wherever you feel is most valuable to you in your current situation.
For example if you feel you already have the “internals,” the cause, and the basic concepts covered, feel free to dive into specific tactics and the lower level detail.
Having said that, if you are totally new to all this then I would recommend following the natural order of the Golden Circle I explained above. So start with Why -> then How -> then What.
Alternatively you can just check out the Latest Posts which are simply sorted by chronological order.
Like Freedom From Work? Stay in touch!
If you like Freedom From Work, here’s some things you can do to keep yourself updated or get in touch with me:
- Subscribe to the Freedom Fighter’s Digest (free weekly updates and discussions)
- Follow Freedom From Work on Instagram (free updates and motivational posts to keep you accountable)
- Like Freedom From Work on Facebook (join the community for discussions and questions)
- Follow Freedom From Work on Twitter (free resources and news)
- Follow Freedom From Work on Medium (a cool and relatively new platform I’ve been starting to use more lately)
- Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or else DM me on Twitter/Instagram or Facebook Messenger (I welcome your feedback, ideas or suggestions)
- Share, comment and enjoy (if I’ve provided any value to you, spread the world and tell your friends about Freedom From Work so that they too can engineer their escape from Time-Money-Servitude.)
Thank you for your support and I hope to be of value to you.
Tony Lee Jacobs